Friday, May 8, 2009

How the Garden is Looking!












It is May 8 and the garden is looking good. I don't know about you, but I can hardly wait to sink my teeth into a tomato sandwich. We are already picking spinach and lettuce. The strawberries are coming along, so I need to protect them from the birds. Here are a few pictures to compare some of the beds from April 30 and May 8. I have been using compost tea. According to John Evans who holds 18 Alaskan record and 9 Guinness Book of World Records the tea is what he attributes to his success. Here is another little money saving trick, which I will try soon is a mosquito trap. It came from a Japanese school project. Excuse me if I give it in English. Take a 2 liter soda bottle, cut near the top of the straight part, so that it can be inserted later. In the bottle put warm water with brown sugar and stir. After that insert a spoon full of yeast. Do not stir! The yeast will produce the CO2 that will attract the mosquitoes. After inserting the top, duct tape together so they hold, then tape black construction paper around it, so light does not get through. Mosquitoes like it dark. Set the trap outside in some corner. It should start to collect mosquitoes. Dump it about every two weeks. I will also post a copy of mine when I finish it and let you know how the collections is coming along.

No comments: