Thursday, May 21, 2009

Bug repellant recipes.


Hi again!
I had a request to put up one of my homemade bug repellants on the post so here you go. I have researched and checked out several recipes. During my research I found that most bugs do not like oil or fragrant smells so I just combine the two. The one I am trying now is a mixture of canola oil with the crushed leaves of sweet basil, organo, lemon balm and peppermint. I use a mason jar and just throw the crushed leaves in and let them soak. Before I go out I just pour a little on my hands and wipe it on my skin.
To test it I went to the garden without any repellant and the bugs just loved me, especially the gnats. I came back in, wiped some on, and went back out. They left me alone and I was able to weed the garden un- bothered. My wife applied some before going on a family picnic in the mountains last week and she noticed how the mosquitoes left her alone.
You can experiment with different combinations, such as olive oil, mineral oil, vegetable oil, etc. and with different fragances, such as basil, eucalyptus, cloves, geranium, peppermint, rosemary, lemon balm(citronella), onions, garlic, and feverfew. You can plant many of these herbs and have a ready supply for the repellant as well as for kitchen uses.

No comments: